Pet insurance companies call it a pre-existing condition. I call it hypokalemia.Pet Assure is a low-cost pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service - even pre-existing conditions! Learn why more than 100,000 pet households have chosen Pet Assure.
Hypokalemia is a low amount of potassium in the blood.
Potassium isa vital nutrient in every cell that supports nerves, muscles, digestion, and the heart.
The kidneys get potassium through food andexcrete it through urine. When the amount of potassium gained and lost is equal, the potassium level is normal.
The most common cause is kidney failure. Other causes include:
- Liver disease
- Cushing's Disease
- Persistent vomiting, diarrhea
Mild hypokalemia may not cause any noticeable signs. However, if severe hypokalemia develops, it can have life-threatening effects.
- Muscle weakness, especially in the neck
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Increased thirst and urination
- Non-groomed hair
Some tests your veterinarian may perform:
- Blood tests: to check for hypokalemia and any underlying diseases
- Biochemical profile: a blood test to check for kidney failure & diabetes
- Urinalysis: to check for kidney failure
- EKG: to check how the heart was affected
Most veterinarians will recommend the following treatments for cats with hypokalemia:
- Treatment of the underlying cause
- Oral or injected potassium supplements
- Follow up visits to monitor potassium levels
Feed your cat a high quality diet, and give potassium supplements if recommended by your veterinarian.
Potassium supplements are often needed for life.
Among pet health plans, Pet Assure is the best value pet plan for your cat. It is the best pet insurance alternative and available for any type of pet. Pet Assure covers every medical condition, including hypokalemia, ear infections, skin allergies, skin infections, gastritis (vomiting), enteritis / diarrhea, arthritis, bladder infections, tumors and hypothyroidism. We're the cheap pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service, including routine visits, dental work, x-rays, laboratory work, vaccines, cremation, spay & neuter, hospitalization and emergency services. Compare pet insurance to us; whether you are looking for dog insurance or cat insurance, insurance for your pet is costly. Choose Pet Assure, the pet discount plan that more than pays for itself.