Pet insurance companies call it a pre-existing condition. I call it epilepsy.Pet Assure is a low-cost pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service - even pre-existing conditions! Learn why more than 100,000 pet households have chosen Pet Assure.
Epilepsy is a chronic disorder of the brain that causes frequent seizures. A seizure occurs when abnormal nerve signals in the brain cause the muscles suddenly to convulse.
Types of seizures:
- Petit Mal: mild seizure, a sudden brief loss of consciousness - staring into space.
- Grand Mal, Tonic Clonic: most common type of seizure. The animal falls on its side with outstretched limbs and loses consciousness. Your pet will lose all muscle control. Limbs will jerk intensely andit will lose control of its bladder and bowels. These seizures last for 1-3 minutes.
- Status Epilepticus: potentially fatal seizure. It lasts more than 5 minutes, or can be multiple seizures in a short time with no consciousness in between.
- Cluster Seizures: another potentially fatal seizure. Multiple seizures in a short time span, with consciousness in between.
There is a condition called Idiopathic Epilepsy where there is no known cause, and can possibly be genetic.
Other causes may include:
- Head injuries
- Brain tumors, cancer
- Birth defects
- Lead poisoning
- Metabolic disorder
- Before a seizure: mood and behavioral changes
- At the start of a seizure: trembling, drooling, wandering, restlessness, hiding and whining
- During the seizure: loss of consciousness, teeth striking together, intense limb thrashing, drooling, whining and uncontrolled urination and defecation
- After the seizure: disorientation and blindness
During a seizure, move your dog to an open space to avoid injury. Try to time the seizure and watch it closely. After the seizure, stay near your dog and comfort it as it regains consciousness. You can cool them with an ice pack either in the neck area orin the groin area. Then go to your veterinarian immediately and tell them exactly what happened. Seizures require emergency veterinary care because they can lead to life-threatening complications.
Many disorders cause seizures, so your veterinarian will perform a few tests to rule out other diseases before diagnosing your dog with epilepsy.
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis (fluid from the spine is withdrawn through a needle): tests for infections
- Blood test: tests for lead poisoning, hypothyroidism and hypoglycemia
- CT scan or MRI: checks for a brain tumor
- X-rays:of the chest and abdomen
- Sample analysis: of the feces and urine
Epilepsy is not curable and requires lifelong care.
Your veterinarian may prescribe anticonvulsant drugs. In most cases, these will not completely stop all seizures, but will lessen the frequency and severity. You will probably need to give your dog the medication for life. However, if they were on medication for over a year, and had no seizures during that time, your veterinarian may recommend slowly reducing the dose.
Probiotics (dietary supplements containing live bacteria) are helpful. They come in packets and can easily be added to your dog's food.
Keep track of all seizures and follow up with your veterinarian every few months.
Since the main causes of epilepsy are either unknown or genetic, there is
noknown way to prevent this condition.
With medication, approximately 70% of epileptic pets live a normal life. About 30% do not respond to antiseizure drugs, but most can still live happy lives.
Among pet health plans, Pet Assure is the best value pet plan for your dog. It is the best pet insurance alternative and available for any type of pet. Pet Assure covers every medical condition, including lenticular sclerosis, ear infections, skin allergies, skin infections, gastritis (vomiting), enteritis/diarrhea, arthritis, bladder infections, tumors and hypothyroidism. We're the cheap pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service, including routine visits, dental work, x-rays, laboratory work, vaccines, cremation, spay & neuter, hospitalization and emergency services. Compare pet insurance to us; whether you are looking for dog insurance or cat insurance, insurance for your pet is costly. Choose Pet Assure, the pet discount plan that more than pays for itself.