Pet insurance companies call it a pre-existing condition. I call it dental disease.Pet Assure is a low-cost pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service - even pre-existing conditions! Learn why more than 100,000 pet households have chosen Pet Assure.
Canine Dental Disease
Dental disease is a common disease found in more than two thirds of dogs over 3 years old.
Left untreated, bacteria builds up on the teeth. This advances to gingivitis--inflammation of the gums. Gingivitis develops into periodontal disease--inflammation of the bone and ligaments that support the teeth.
As the disease progresses, your dog will have tooth loss. The bacteria also can enter the bloodstream, and infect other organs.
Dental disease is treatable and can be prevented. You must provide your dog with good dental care (at home and by your veterinarian) for it to have good dental health.
Dental disease starts with a build-up of brown or tan plaque. It is crucial to provide your dog with good dental care.
- Bad breath
- Painful mouth
- Red, inflamed gums
- Not wanting to chew on toys
- Dropping food from mouth
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Pawing at face
- Rubbing face on ground
- Colored nasal discharge
- Exam of your dog's teeth and gums
- Dental x-rays
- Blood tests
Your dog will need anesthesia for cleaning procedures. Your veterinarian will perform:
- Blood tests: to ensure liver and kidneys are functioning well enough for anesthesia
- Dental cleaning: ultrasonic scaling and polishing tools will remove plaque and tartar
- Dental Surgery: removal of badly affected teeth
- Medication: oral antibiotics
You won't be able to remove the plaque and tartar yourself because:
- You can only remove tartar above the gum line. There still may be tartar below the gum line, which will continue causing problems
- It's unsafe to clean the inner parts of the teeth while your dog is conscious.
- Using dental instruments may scratch their teeth, which will cause further damage. Your veterinarian will polish the scratches to prevent this
- Annual oral exams
- Brush your dog's teeth daily with toothpaste made for pets only! Human toothpaste contains ingredients that are poison for pets. Your veterinarian will instruct you how to brush your dog's teeth. It is crucial to brush their teeth daily, as plaque and tartar can build up just six hours after a cleaning
- Your veterinarian can prescribe a dental diet to remove plaque as your dog chews
- You can add certain gels and liquids totheir drinking water
- Give your dog special chew toys which are designed to reduce tartar
If you take care to give your dog proper veterinary oral care and continue the care at home, they will have healthy teeth and gums, and avoid dental disease.
Among pet health plans, Pet Assure is the best value pet plan for your dog. It is the best pet insurance alternative and available for any type of pet. Pet Assure covers every medical condition, including dental disease, ear infections, skin allergies, skin infections, gastritis (vomiting), enteritis/diarrhea, arthritis, bladder infections, tumors and hypothyroidism. We're the cheap pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service, including routine visits, dental work, x-rays, laboratory work, vaccines, cremation, spay & neuter, hospitalization and emergency services. Compare pet insurance to us; whether you are looking for dog insurance or cat insurance, insurance for your pet is costly. Choose Pet Assure, the pet discount plan that more than pays for itself.