Pet insurance companies call it a pre-existing condition. I call it blastomycosis.Pet Assure is a low-cost pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service - even pre-existing conditions! Learn why more than 100,000 pet households have chosen Pet Assure.
Blastomycosis is a serious fungal disease that infects dogs and humans through the respiratory tract.
Your dog can contract this disease by inhaling the fungus found in soil near water.
These fungal sporeswill:
- Settle in the lungs and reproduce
- Spread through the body and infect other organs, such as the eyes, skin, bones, lymph nodes, and brain.
Left untreated, blastomycosis can be fatal.
An infected animal can not pass the disease to a healthy animal or to a human.
At the beginning stages, you may notice any of the following:
- Harsh coughing
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
As the disease progresses, a wide variety ofsigns can occur, depending on the organs affected, including:
- Eyes: inflammation, sudden blindness
- Brain: seizures, head tilt
- Bones: lameness
- Skin: lesions (blemishes) draining blood
- Lymph nodes: swollen
If you notice any of the above signs, you must go to the veterinarian immediately, as blastomycosis can be fatal is not diagnosed and treated right away.
Your veterinarian will suspect blastomycosis if you live near water. Some tests may include:
- Sample of fluid draining from skin lesions or lymph nodes
- Chest x-rays
- Blood tests
- Fungal titers (checks the blood for antibodies of the fungus)
Affected dogs need a few months of antifungal medication, orally and through IV. This may cause liver and kidney damage, so your veterinarian will have to closely monitor yourdog and regularly do blood work.
Severely affected eyes may not respond well to the medication and may need to be removed.
There is currently no vaccine available against blastomycosis. However there are some preventative measures that you can practice:
- Avoid excessive time in the woods, especially near water (since blastomycosis is in soil near water)
- Feed your dog foods containing no yeast
- Give Vitamin C, E, A, and B as a supplement if your veterinarian recommends
- Give garlic supplements if your veterinarian recommends
Blastomycosis is usually fatal if not diagnosed and treated right away. Treatment is long, complicated, and expensive, and many dogs do not respond to it.
If your dog's brain or eye is affected, prognosis is worse.
Dogs with poor liver or kidney function may not be able to tolerate the medication.
Relapses can occur.
Among pet health plans, Pet Assure is the best value pet plan for your dog. It is the best pet insurance alternative and available for any type of pet. Pet Assure covers every medical condition, including blastomycosis, ear infections, skin allergies, skin infections, gastritis (vomiting), enteritis/diarrhea, arthritis, bladder infections, tumors and hypothyroidism. We're the cheap pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service, including routine visits, dental work, x-rays, laboratory work, vaccines, cremation, spay & neuter, hospitalization and emergency services. Compare pet insurance to us; whether you are looking for dog insurance or cat insurance, insurance for your pet is costly. Choose Pet Assure, the pet discount plan that more than pays for itself.