Pet insurance companies call it a pre-existing condition. I call it osteochondritis.Pet Assure is a low-cost pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service - even pre-existing conditions! Learn why more than 100,000 pet households have chosen Pet Assure.
Two bones meet at a joint, where there is a cover of cartilage for smooth movement.
With OCD, this cartilage cracks, and can either:
- Form a cartilage flap, which will not re-attach itself, or
- Separate entirely from the bone it normally covers. The piece of cartilage floating in the jointis called a "joint mouse". It is very painful for your dog, because these "joint mice" keep growing, causing joint inflammation and nerve irritation.
OCD is cause by rapid bone growth. Therefore, it mostly affects growing puppies of large breeds.
OCD most commonly affects the shoulder, but you may notice symptoms in the elbows, knees or hips.
- Swollen, warm joint
Your dog will show pain and resistance when someone touches the affected joint. Your veterinarian can make a diagnosis based on:
- Physical exam
There are 2 options for treatment, depending on the severity of your dog's OCD:
1. Conservative treatment: for mild cases of a small crack in the cartilage, or a small flap, treatment includes weeks of strict rest. Walking is only for bathroom trips.
In more than half of mild cases, the OCD heals on its own if you strictly enforce rest.
Other conservative treatments include:
- Medications for inflammation
- Supplements for joint health
2. Surgery: for more severe cases of a big flap, or "joint mice", or if conservative treatment was not effective. Your veterinarian will open the joint and remove the joint mice and defective cartilage. For a few weeks after surgery, you must minimize activity to allow for recovery.
- Diet: feed a balanced diet to promote healthy bone growth, limit calcium intake and prevent excess weight-gain
- Young, large-breed dogs should not do any strenuous activity, specifically jumping
There is a good prognosis with OCD in the shoulder. With other joints, OCD may lead to further issues.
With an early diagnosis and treatment, the prognosis will improve.
Among pet health plans, Pet Assure is the best value pet plan for your dog. It is the best pet insurance alternative and available for any type of pet. Pet Assure covers every medical condition, including osteochondritis, ear infections, skin allergies, skin infections, gastritis (vomiting), enteritis/diarrhea, arthritis, bladder infections, tumors and hypothyroidism. We're the cheap pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service, including routine visits, dental work, x-rays, laboratory work, vaccines, cremation, spay & neuter, hospitalization and emergency services. Compare pet insurance to us; whether you are looking for dog insurance or cat insurance, insurance for your pet is costly. Choose Pet Assure, the pet discount plan that more than pays for itself.