Browse our veterinary-reviewed Dog and Cat Illness Guide to learn more about pet health. Always talk to your veterinarian if you have a concern about your pet's symptoms or health.
Pet Assure allows pet owners to save on their pet's veterinary care, even pre-existing conditions. Click here to learn more.
Tibetan Mastiffs are giant breed dogs. These dogs were first used as guard dogs. Today they are popular pets. These dogs tend to be quite stubborn at times but can learn new tricks and commands with a dedicated owner. They do need constant training and socialization to prevent them from becoming aggressive and destructive.
Common Health Issues In Tibetan Mastiffs
Most Tibetan Mastiffs are very healthy. Some of the few genetic and health conditions that could be seen in Tibetan Mastiffs:
- Bloat: Bloat is a life-threatening condition that will need to see a veterinarian right away. This occurs when your dog's stomach flips over and becomes enlarged. Many dogs with bloat are gagging and have a very bloated abdomen. This condition usually requires surgery to correct this disease. Without pet insurance, this can be a very costly procedure.
- Elbow Dysplasia and Hip Dysplasia: Hip and elbow dysplasia are extremely common in this breed. It occurs when the joint sockets do not correctly form which can cause their elbow or hip to pop out. If your dog has dysplasia, their limbs may be in pain or cause them to limp. Your vet can discuss what can be done to help manage the signs of pain and help decrease arthritis formation so that your Tibetan Mastiffs can live a long and happy life.
- Cancer: Tibetan Mastiffs are known for getting cancer. The three most common types of cancer in Tibetan Mastiffs are:
- Hemangiosarcoma: This type of cancer commonly affects the liver and spleen.
- Lymphoma: Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system.
- Osteosarcoma: This is a type of bone cancer. It commonly affects the wrist, shoulder, and knee.
These issues will need constant care and monitoring to help keep your Tibetan healthy and happy. If you notice anything wrong with your Tibetan Mastiffs, they should see a vet right away. Some issues can be life-threatening.
Pet Health Insurance for your Tibetan Mastiffs
If you are looking for pet health insurance for your Tibetan Mastiffs, you should ensure that many health issues commonly seen in Tibetan Mastiffs are covered. You will also want to find insurance with short waiting times on treatment and surgery. If you prolong these procedures, your dog could have permeant health issues.
Certain health conditions are often considered genetic or are pre-existing conditions and may not be covered for your Tibetan Mastiffs.
You could also consider enrolling in Pet Assure, a veterinary discount plan that is a low-cost pet insurance alternative. This plan has no exclusions due to age, breed, or hereditary conditions. Even pre-existing conditions are covered! Get a quote today. It's perfect for Tibetan Mastiffs!
Medically Reviewed by Sara Ochoa, DVM