Pet insurance companies call it a pre-existing condition. I call it tonsillitis.Pet Assure is a low-cost pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service - even pre-existing conditions! Learn why more than 100,000 pet households have chosen Pet Assure.
Your dog has a pair of tonsils at the back of its throat that help fight infection. Tonsillitis is when these tonsils are inflamed: swollen, red and easily seen.
The inflammation is caused by:
- Dental disease: tartar builds on the teeth, the gums become inflamed, and your dog's tonsils may be affected
- Any condition in the mouth that allows bacteria to multiply in the throat
Other causes include:
- Chronic vomiting
- Chronic productive cough
- Foreign object stuck in mouth
Enlarged tonsils are very painful.Signs may include:
- Licking lips
- Refusing food (because it is painful to swallow)
Your veterinarian will simply examine your dog's tonsils. If they are inflamed, the veterinarian will see them easily.
Some treatments your veterinarian may recommend include:
- Treating the source of infection: teeth cleaning in the case of dental disease
- Antibiotics: to treat the infection
- Anti-inflammatory treatment: to relieve pain
- Tonsillectomy (removal of the tonsils): if your dog is not responding to treatment or there is frequent recurrence. This is rarely done because tonsils are crucial in fighting infections.
The best preventative measure against tonsillitis is to make sure your dog has excellent oral hygiene.
The prognosis depends on the underlying cause, but generally, tonsillitis is not a serious condition. In young dogs, tonsillitis often resolves on its own or with the use of antibiotics.
Among pet health plans, Pet Assure is the best value pet plan for your dog. It is the best pet insurance alternative and available for any type of pet. Pet Assure covers every medical condition, including tonsillitis, ear infections, skin allergies, skin infections, gastritis (vomiting), enteritis/diarrhea, arthritis, bladder infections, tumors and hypothyroidism. We're the cheap pet insurance alternative that covers every medical service, including routine visits, dental work, x-rays, laboratory work, vaccines, cremation, spay & neuter, hospitalization and emergency services. Compare pet insurance to us; whether you are looking for dog insurance or cat insurance, insurance for your pet is costly. Choose Pet Assure, the pet discount plan that more than pays for itself.