Anyone who loves dogs, knows there is a lot of information you need to know in order to keep them healthy and happy. There are a lot of myths and some misinformation too. Here are some interesting facts that just may surprise you. We've tossed in some fascinating trivia too!
- It is a myth that dogs are color blind. They can actually see
in color, just not as vividly as humans. It is similar to our
vision at dusk.
- Dogs DO have better low-light vision than humans because of a
special light-reflecting layer behind their retinas.
- A German Shepherd guide dog led her blind companion through
the entire 2100-mile Appalachian Trail.
- If never spayed or neutered, a female dog, her mate, and
their puppies could produce over 66,000 dogs in 6 years!
- A dog's' only sweat glands are between their paw pads.
- Like human babies, Chihuahuas are born with a soft spot in
their skull which closes with age.
- The Lundehune breed has 6 toes and can close its ears.
- Teddy Roosevelt's dog, Pete, ripped a French Ambassador's
pants off at the White House.
- President Lyndon Johnson had two beagles named Him and
- Franklin Roosevelt spent $15,000 for a destroyer to pick up
his Scottie in the Aleutian Islands.
Want to learn how to save on your dog's veterinary care? Click here
- In Roman times, mastiffs donned light armor and were sent
after mounted knights.
- The Russians trained dogs during WWII to run suicide missions
with mines strapped to their backs.
- A dog's mouth exerts 150-200 pounds of pressure per square
inch. Some dog breeds can exert up to 450 pounds per square
- A one year old dog is as mature, physically, as a 15-year old
- The U.S. has the highest dog population in the world. France
has the 2nd highest dog population.
- The average city dog lives 3 years longer than a country
- 87% of dog owners say their dog curls up beside them or at
their feet while they watch TV
- Dogs can be trained to detect epileptic seizures.
- 15 people die in the U.S. every year from dog bites.
- In 2002, more people in the U.S. were killed by dogs than by
sharks during the past 100 years.
- Gidget is the name of the Taco Bell dog.
- Newfoundlands are great swimmers because of their webbed
- Basset Hounds cannot swim.
- Greyhounds are the fastest dogs on earth, with speeds of up
to 45 miles per hour.
- Bingo is the name of the dog on the side of the Cracker Jack
- The Bible mentions dogs 14 times.
- Three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic - a
Newfoundland, a Pomeranian, and a Pekingese.
- The Labrador Retriever is the #1 favorite breed in the U.S.,
Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Obesity is the #1 health problem among dogs.
- An estimated 1,000,000 dogs in the U.S. have been named as
the primary beneficiaries in their owner's will.
- An American Animal Hospital Association. poll found that 33%
of dog owners admit to talking to their dogs on the phone and
leaving answering machine messages for them while away.
- A dog's nose prints are as unique as a human's fingerprints
and can be used to accurately identify them.
- At the end of the Beatles' song "A Day in the Life", a
high-pitched dog whistle was recorded by Paul McCartney for his
- 70% of people sign their pet's name on greeting and holiday
- 58% of people put pets in family and holiday portraits.
- There are only 350 Cisky Terriers in the world - perhaps the
- The phrase "raining cats and dogs" originated in 17th century
England when it is believed that many cats and dogs drowned
during heavy periods of rain.
- Dogs have no sense of "time".
- Humans have kept dogs as pets for over 12,000 years.
- The largest breed of dog is the Irish Wolfhound.
- The world's smallest dog breed is the Chihuahua.
- The St. Bernard is the world's heaviest breed.
- Only dogs and humans have prostates.
- Dogs do not have an appendix.
- Every dog on earth likely descended from a species known as
the Tomarctus - a creature that roamed the earth over 15 million
- The oldest known dog breed is most likely the Saluki -
originally trained by Egyptians to help them track game.
- In 1957, Laika became the first living being in space via an
- JFK's terrier, Charlie, fathered 4 puppies with Laika's
- An African wolf dog known as the Basenji is the only dog in
the world that cannot bark.
- There are 703 breeds of purebred dogs.
Ready to start saving money on pet wellness care?
Then take a look at Mint Wellness, the pet wellness plan that provides fast reimbursement on routine pet care. Save on vaccinations, wellness exams, preventatives, dental, and more!Learn More