Rising temperatures, longer days, and increased sunshine can only mean one thing; summer is fully upon us. With such a short window of enjoyable summer months it is more important than ever to get outdoors with your entire family, including your four-legged family members. Just like people, dogs enjoy summer because there are so many opportunities for exploration and summer games. Enjoy the great outdoors, a sweet treat, and quality bonding time with your dog with these summer activities.
Take to the Outdoors
Summer is time to pick up and head outdoors to take advantage of the sunny days and beautiful temperatures. If you are looking for dog friendly activities, you may not have to look further than your own neighborhood.
- Take a Hike - There are plenty of opportunities to get outdoors and go for a hike. Depending on your dog's ability, this can be a simple short jaunt, or a day-long trek through the forest. Make sure you are prepared for hiking with your dog by having the necessary supplies. Always keep additional water, water bowl, and food on hand to make sure Fido stays hydrated and fed.
- Visit the Dog Park - For a little canine socialization a dog park is perfect. Not only does a dog park provide the opportunities for your pet to romp around with other dogs, but it gives him or her a chance to get some exercise in a safe, enclosed environment. Before going to a dog park though, make sure your pet has the right immunizations to keep him or her protected.
- Explore Your Town - With the beautiful weather now is the perfect time to explore a new part of town. Instead of turning left down your street, try turning right and discover a new world. Your dog will enjoy seeing new sights, get all the new smells, and will get to go on an adventure. You may even find a new dog friendly cafe to stop for a bite to eat.
- Bring Inside Fun Outside - Do you have a favorite game that you love playing with your dog inside? Why not bring that game outdoors to take advantage of the nice weather? Tug of war, fetch, and puzzle games can all easily be adapted to outdoor life.
Summer is the perfect time to splash around in the water. Enjoying the water is a perfect summer activity that both dog and owner can do together.
- Visit a Beach - Running through the sand and frolicking in the waves is a great way for both you and your dog to have some fun this summer. A beach can provide endless hours of swimming, playing catch, or just running. Before visiting a beach though, be sure to read the rules and regulations regarding dogs and leash laws. Remember too that different dogs prefer different activities, and not all dogs will take immediately to swimming.
- Go Kayaking - While this may not be for all dogs, dogs that are well trained to sit in a kayak absolutely love the time spent on the water. Enjoy spending time in nature with your pet, and even stop along a beach for a quick dip in the water. Just like with people, make sure your pet is protected and safe if going on a kayak adventure.
- Kiddie Pool - If you don't live close to a body of water it's still possible to let your dog splash around a bit this summer. Purchasing a small plastic kiddie pool is perfect for endless hours of dog fun this summer. Just fill up in the backyard and let Fido go to town!
Enjoy A Tasty Treat
To make the hot summer weather more manageable a tasty, cool treat can help. There are plenty of healthy dog treats that are still cool and refreshing, the perfect answer to summer dog fun.
- Kong Toy - For a cold dog treat pull out the tried and true Kong toy. While you may usually stuff this full of warm items, like peanut butter or cream cheese, consider putting the Kong in the freezer. Not only will this be a cold dog treat for your dog to enjoy, but it will keep him or her entertained while trying to remove the food.
- Make Dog Treats - It's possible to make your own dog treats in the comfort of your own home. There are plenty of available recipes for cold dog treat options which can allow you to customize your treats to your dog's favorite foods. Make these treats in a big batch so you can supply your pet with a cold dog treat all summer long.
- Frozen Fruits - To keep your dog healthy and cool this summer, explore recipes that include some tasty and healthy fruits and vegetables. This recipe has a mix of watermelon and carrots that your dog will love. A cold dog treat doesn't have to be packed full of sugar for your pet to love it!
Of course being outdoors is wonderful, as long as you are careful. Summer can bring plenty of dog fun, but also dangerously high temperatures. You want you to spend as much time with Fido enjoying these great activities, but it is important to always be careful and keep your dog safe. Watch for signs of distress in your dog such as lethargy, excessive panting, or discolored gums as these can all be a sign of dangerous heat stroke. Keep Fido hydrated with plenty of water too. Enjoying the outdoors, while keeping a dog safe, is a great opportunity for your pet to enjoy the best summer.