Dr. Elliott: Functional Foods: The New Pet Health Bar
Functional food bars are reaching from the human market into the pet market.
In today's fast paced environment, consumers reach for a functional food bar to provide a quick energy lift, a fiber source to aid digestion, or to help relinquish that excess fat in their system. Now, functional food bars are expanding from the human market into the pet market, and they can have an attractive taste while providing beneficial nutrients for your pet.
There are new functional food bars for pets on the horizon. These bars are not baked, which keep the nutritional value at higher levels. Here are some functional food pet bars that are in the pre-release stage with some of their ingredients listed:
This can be an effective way to provide a good source of fiber, immune activators and system cleansers in a base of fresh protein with delicious berries. Many internal problems can be helped with a beneficial amount of these nutrients:
- Maqui Berry - immune booster, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-rogue cell and natural COX-2 inhibiting activities
- Kale Sprouts - powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Blazei - anti-viral, antibacterial.
- Blueberries - may inhibit mechanisms of rogue cell development.
- Milk Thistle - liver cleanser
In a delicious base of a protein, some of the ingredients include:
- Green Lipped Mussel - known to be a good anti-inflammatory
- Celery Seed - neutralizes uric acid
- Chondroitan/Glucosamine - slow joint destruction, formation and repair of cartilage
- Turmeric - antioxidant
- Cherry-berry - antioxidant with a vanilla ice cream flavor
Happy Flow - Digestion Helper
Many dogs are experiencing IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), constipation and intestinal distress. These provide great benefits:
- Sweet potato - rich in dietary fiber
- Butternut squash - digestive tonic
- Carrots - wild carrot relieves effects of constipation
Additional bars being developed: calming bars, energy boosters and weight control.