Which Dog Breed Is the Smartest?
Who is the smartest dog of them all? All dog breeds are cute, but are they all smart? Learn which breeds tend to be the brainiest of the bunch.
All dogs are cute, but which breeds are the smartest? Below is a list that was compiled by over 250 answers given by veterinary professionals on what canine breeds they consider to be the most intelligent.
- Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie): These dogs are both gorgeous and smart! Shelties are also known for being very loyal.
- Collie: While these pooches look like they may be related to the Sheltie, they actually aren’t. Collies tend to be great family dogs and are typically easy to train.
- Labrador Retriever: These animals are one of the most popular pets in America – and for good reason. These pooches are typically loving and energetic and want to please their humans.
- Australian Cattle Dog: This breed is known to be intelligent and independent. Watch out though, they can also be stubborn and a challenge to train.
- Golden Retriever: These canines tend to be happy and easygoing. This breed also does really well as a service animal.
- Australian Shepherd: Don’t confuse this breed with the Australian Cattle dog! These dogs are very devoted and loyal and are best when kept busy. So train them with “help” commands to assist you around the house.
- Jack Russell Terrier: While these pooches are normally known for their high energy, they are also very smart! You just want to keep them busy so they’ll stay out of trouble.
- Poodle: Don’t be fooled by the Poodle’s looks, these dogs tend to top the lists of brainiest breeds.
- German Shepherds: Not only are these canines smart, they are typically natural protectors. They can adapt to almost any task assigned to them, which is what makes them such good dogs for the police.
- Border Collie: This breed is known for herding sheep, which is no small feat! These animals are typically very focused, which is great for training. However, you need to keep them busy or they can easily get themselves into trouble.
Do you think another breed should have made the list? Let us know in the comment section!