Toxic Foods for Dogs
Certain foods may be delicious for us, but unfortunately toxic to pets. Here is a list of some common foods that you should not feed your pets:
- Chocolate- all you chocoholics out there should keep the stuff away from your pets. The compounds theobromine and caffeine in chocolate cause hyperactivity, increased heart rate, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst or urination, lethargy and potentially, death. The darker the chocolate, the worse the toxicity. The toxicity is dose dependant and a 10kg dog could be poisoned by consuming about 50g of dark chocolate or 100g of milk chocolate.
- Onions- and other plants of the onion family such as garlic, leek, chives, scallions and spring onions are very toxic in both their cooked and uncooked forms. Compounds in these plants contain substances that cause oxidative damage to red blood cells, leading to severe anemia and death in many cases.
- Nuts- macadamia nuts and walnuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting and neurological signs in dogs. As little as 24g of macadamia nuts can poison a 10kg dog.
- Grapes and Raisins- these cause kidney failure in dogs. One or two grapes may be ok as a treat but substantial amounts should not be fed.
- Bread Dough- this stuff will expand in the pet’s stomach, producing ethanol and leading to bloat, intoxication, vomiting, depression and neurological signs.
- Mushrooms- certain species of mushrooms can cause shock and even death. Mushrooms growing in the garden should be removed before your pet can get to them.
- Hops- cause increased heart rate and neurological signs such as seizures, and death.
- Alcohol- can cause intoxication, coma and death.
- Avocado- is toxic to birds.
If you suspect that you pet has eaten any of these foods in toxic amounts, it it important to take him/her to the vet immediately. The vet will likely induce vomiting and also institute any other therapy that may be necessary.
Share this article with your pet-loving friends!