Who says that the Easter Bunny only visits the human children? April has finally rolled around, and that means it’s almost time for the Easter Bunny to visit! While humans get chocolate bunnies and jelly beans, our furry friends can also be included in on the fun. Below are some yummy recipes for cats and dogs that are easy to make at home! Enjoy these homemade pet treats!
Easter Carrot Cookies
This is a delicious sweet for the pooches. You can find these common ingredients at your local grocery store.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ½ cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 2 small jars of beef baby food
- ½ cup of dry dog food
- 2 cups grated carrots
- Put the ½ cup of dog food into a blender or food processor. Grind until a fine powder.
- In a large bowl, combine this powdered dog food, carrots, yogurt and baby food. Blend well.
- Add the baking powder. Blend well.
- Slowly add in the wheat flour. Knead the mixture with your hands for 3-5 minutes.
- Roll out dough onto floured surface. Using Easter or spring-themed cookie cutters, cut out shapes and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for twenty minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Cool and serve!
Crunchy Tuna Treats
This recipe is for our feline friends! While it isn’t necessarily an Easter theme, you can make it one by shaping the treats into fun Easter forms.
- 210 grams tuna in vegetable oil
- ¾ cup rye flour (whole wheat flour can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Mix tuna, flour and parsley together in a bowl. Be sure to break up tuna pieces so they are soft and mushy.
- Add water as needed. You want to make a firm dough that is easy to mold.
- Grab a teaspoon-sized amount and form it into a fun Easter shape, like an egg, for example. Repeat this process until the dough is used up. Place all the shapes onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for twenty minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
Get your pets in on this springtime fun!
Do you have any great recipes for homemade pet treats? Share with us in the comments!