Poisonous Flowers

dog-among-flowers-200x300Pretty, but poisonous for your pooch? Spring is finally here, which means that the flowers are blooming! Now is a good time to take a refresher course on possible poisonous plants in your yard.

All around most parts of America, people are rejoicing because spring is finally here, along with all the pretty flowers. However, what may look beautiful on your lawn could actually be poison for dogs. Now is a good time in the year to take a refresher course on what plants and flowers are dangerous to your furry friend if he tries to eat them.

  • Daffodils: The most toxic part of this flower is the bulb. Eating a large quantity of this can cause convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors and uneven heart beats. Other symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Daisies: This type of flower can cause vomiting, diarrhea, large amounts of drooling and lack of coordination. In other words, if you notice your pet walking into things or walking sideways, you may want to call the animal hospital.
  • Gardenia: In addition to the typical symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, these flowers can also cause your pooch to break out in hives.
  • Geraniums: These plants can cause a lack of appetite, along with lethargy. This means that your pet will seem depressed and unwilling to move.
  • Tulips: Just like with daffodils, the bulbs are the most toxic part of this flower. The symptoms from eating tulips are vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea and excessive drooling.

If you notice your pet eating one of these plants, or exhibiting any of the above symptoms, you call your local animal hospital immediately. You can also contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.

Share this important article with your dog-loving friends!

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *