Poisonous for Dogs

Don’t eat that: canine edition! Our beloved pooches may want to eat everything in sight, but there are some things that they really shouldn’t get into! Some are plants, and some are things safe for us to eat, but not for Fido! Learn what items are poison for dogs.

My family has always had Labrador Retrievers as pets. First, we had Woody, then Beauty and now Joy. While each dog has been unique and had/has its own personality, they have all had one thing in common…all Labs will eat whatever they can get their paws on. However, I know that this problem pertains to many different types of canines. Keep reading to find out some surprising things in your home that might be dangerous to pets.

  • Azaleas/Rhododendrons: this common garden plant is very toxic to dogs. Just a few leaves can cause some serious problems in your pooch! Symptoms include excessive drooling, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness, loss of coordination, leg paralysis.
  • Chocolate: this list would not be complete without including chocolate. Chocolate products contain substances that can cause vomiting, even in small doses. Larger quantities could result in death.
  • Daffodils: these springtime flowers are particularly toxic in the bulbs. The symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors and drooling.
  • Avocadoes: while humans consider these as healthy, they aren’t so healthy for our furry friends! Avocadoes have a substance called persin that causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
  • Tomato plants: Although these plants typically aren’t lethal, the leaves and stems still can cause some serious discomfort to your pet. These will give your animal symptoms similar to those listed above, in addition to drowsiness, weakness and confusion.
  • Grapes and raisins: experts still aren’t sure why, but these fruits can cause your pooch to go into kidney failure.

If you notice your dog having any of the above symptoms, it is best to call your veterinarian or local animal hospital. There is also an ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) that takes calls 24 hours a day at 888-426-4435.

Stay tuned on how to pet-proof your home from these toxins!

Share this important article with your dog-loving friends!

id: sdo24fj0awe

One comment on “Poisonous for Dogs

  1. My female Sheltie has all the symptoms of Salmon poisoning (raw)….But we had none around She was in a fenced yard and for the most part an indoor dog.. Up all night with a very sensitive and Vet with the patience of a Saint. He asked me to look around the yard. Found that she had dug up and chewed on the root of a Rosemary Plant! Same symptoms…but, thankfully turned out not to be lethal.
    Also, why doesn't anyone ever mention the Hydrogen Peroxide treatment? 1/2 Tsp will make your dog vomit up whatever it has had ingested the last hour or so. My Boston ate an expandable toy…(turns out …after frantic calls to the manufacturer…she would have been fine because it would not expand in her stomach acids).But, Vet did tell me to get her just a small dose of Hydrogen Peroxide. In less than 1 minute she vomited up everything in her stomach. Expandable toy came up…same size as it went in. She (we) rested for an hour and she was back to her bouncy, hyper Terrier activities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>