Plants and Dogs
Smell the flowers, just don’t eat them! Spring time is in the air, which means the flowers are starting to bloom! Be sure you know which pretty flowers aren’t really so attractive should your pet decide to chow down on them. Get to know the list of poisonous plants for dogs.
It is common knowledge that some dogs, such as my Chocolate Labrador Retriever, will eat anything. Table scraps, garbage…and yes, even flowers! With the arrival of Spring, be careful of what types of flowers and plants might be popping up in your yard or appearing in your house.
Toxic flowers and plants can have ranging effects on pooches. Some flowers will only cause a slight upset stomach, while others can be deadly.
Some common flowers and plants that are toxic to dogs if they make them a snack:
- Mums/Daisies will cause vomiting, diarrhea, clumsiness and intense itchiness.
- Daffodils will cause shaking, tremors and heart problems.
- Iris will cause lots of salivation (drool), slowness, along with vomiting and diarrhea.
- Tulips will cause your dog to become depressed or slow, and have vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling.
If you notice your pooch accidentally eats one of the flowers listed above, be sure to call your primary veterinarian immediately. Other important phone numbers are the ASPCA Poison Control, 888-426-4435, and the Animal Poison Hotline 800-213-6680.