I have never taken a vacation with a pet. I consider it an all-day Olympic event just to wrangle one of my cats into the carrier for a trip to the veterinarian. I cannot imagine strolling onto a plane with a hissing, growling and hyperventilating feline. Apparently, not everyone agrees with me. That or 44 percent of the 1100 U.S. pet owners surveyed by TripAdvisor® have dogs. They all traveled with their pets in the past year.
The TripAdvisor® pet travel survey also revealed that 74 percent of those who travel with their pets have animals that travel well (I guess that means no hissing, biting or yowling). Thirty-six percent say that traveling with pets is always enjoyable.
While my girls sleep peacefully at home in their kitty beds as I deal with the hassles and inconveniences of travel, jet-setting pets and their human companions have to find pet-friendly lodgings. Fortunately, TripAdvisor® has this covered as well with their recent announcement of the top ten pet-friendly hotels. In alphabetical order, the winners were:
1. A Laughing Horse Lodge, Port Aransas, Texas
2. Affinia Dumont, New York City, New York
3. Carmel Country Inn, Carmel, California
4. Cypress Inn, Carmel, California
5. Hotel Marlowe, Cambridge, Massachusetts
6. Hotel Monaco Portland, Portland, Oregon
7. La Quinta Inn & Suites, Valdosta, Georgia
8. Ocean Park Resort, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
9. Palomar Washington DC, Washington D.C., District of Columbia
10. The Paw House Inn, West Rutland, Vermont
Average nightly rates at these popular hotels range from $57 to $614. Amenities include pet beds and treats, doggie room service, walking and grooming.
Have you ever traveled with your pets? Did you enjoy it? Let us know in the comments!