For those who want a pet but suffer from allergies, here are some great hypoallergenic animals you can adopt.
My boyfriend and I love animals, especially ones covered in fur. However, my suitor is allergic to cats. The last time he came over, within minutes, he was wheezing, sneezing and coughing. This led me to wonder which animals make great pets for owners with allergies. Here's what I found:
- Devon Rex Cat: These animals have a shorter coat of fur, which is what makes them more allergy-friendly. Felines have saliva that contain proteins that are allergens. When cats clean their fur using saliva, this is what triggers most allergies. Since the Devon Rex has a shorter coat, it does not spend a lot of time grooming itself. Therefore, it doesn’t release as many allergens into the air
- Sphinx Cat: These felines don’t shed a lot because, well, they don’t have any fur! While some might miss being able to run your fingers through a coat of fur, those with allergies will just enjoy the companionship. And these cats can be just as lovable as any other.
- Poodles: This breed is known for being hypoallergenic. Its hair is short and curly, and it doesn’t shed as much. Shedding is one of the things that affects allergies because of all the dander getting into the air.
- Kerry Blue Terrier: This breed of dog also has short and curly hair, much like the poodle. However, its coat is black. These animals are known for being energetic and fun-loving. They were originally bred to hunt small animals, so they might not do well with a family feline.
If you're fighting allergies due to your pet or pets, here are some ways to help fight against the allergies without getting rid of your furry friend:
- Clean your house often
- Purchase a HEPA filter to purify the air in your home
- Use allergen-wipes for your animal(s)
- Keep your animal out of your bedroom. This will give you some relief when you're sleeping
- Wash your hands after petting your animal
- Have another person in the house clean your cat's litter box. (Another source of allergens can be found in an animal's urine. You don't want to get too close)
For those who suffer from allergies, there is an animal and solution for you out there!