During the holidays many families decide to bring a new furry family member into their home. Adopting pets can seem like a wonderful holiday gift, but make sure you are prepared and making educated decisions before bringing your new pet home.
If you have made the decision to adopt a pet, here are some tips when looking for the perfect dog or cat for your family.
- Before visiting the rescue, make sure that you do your breed research. Have any idea about what you are looking for in your new pet.
- Sit down with you family and get their suggestions about the new family member. It is important that every person in the household is happy with you decision.
- Work with a reputable rescue that meets state regulations. Unreliable organizations may mistreat their animals and do not follow regulations.
- Make sure to obtain copies of all health and vaccination records for your new pet.
- Rabies vaccinations are a must if your pet is over three months old. Ensure that they receive the shot before you take them home and get a copy of the record.
- Lastly, have fun welcoming your new family member into your home.
These tips will help your entire family become educated pet parents. Hopefully your trips to the rescue are enjoyable.
Do you have suggestions for families adopting pets this holiday season? Let us know in the comments section.