Holiday Pet Hazards

Guest Post: Elliot Harvey's Natural Health Column:

Holiday season is here and it's time to focus on holiday pet safety. Here is a list of things around your house holiday time that can be dangerous for your pets.

  • Delicious smelling turkey filled with bread stuffing
  • Loads of cranberry sauce
  • Fresh mashed potatoes smothered in butter
  • Yummy canned turkey gravy
  • Honey baked ham
  • Bright lights on the Christmas tree
  • Beautiful ornaments dangling on the tree or decorating tables, shelves and doorways
  • Stockings hanging from fireplaces
  • Gifts under the tree
  • Delicious baked goods filling the air with delightful aromas
  • Toy trains circling the Christmas tree with lots of miniature parts

All these things can be fun and dangerous for your beloved pet! The list below shows how dangerous the above items, although tasty, beautiful and seemingly harmless to have around, are to our unsuspecting pets:

  1. Turkey can be loaded with chemical enhancements.
  2. Cranberry sauce is loaded with sugar.
  3. Potatoes and butter are loaded with sugar and fat.
  4. Canned gravy is loaded with salt and chemical preservatives.
  5. Ham bones can splinter and get caught in a dog’s throat, possibly puncturing the esophagus or even causing him to choke.
  6. What a great time your dog would have biting into those colorful, blinking lights and climbing on the tree too get to them; knocking over the tree and possibly injuring himself or others while simply trying to have some fun. Make you do not leave your pet unattended around such temptations.
  7. Let’s tear apart those gifts to see what they bought me, and choke on the wrappings or possibly strangle on ribbons or decorative twine.
  8. How can any dog resist chomping down some delicious cookies or cake? Keep those goodies and sweet treats in sealed containers and not laying around on plates or open trays where your pet can feast on them.
  9. Those toy trains sure do have some delicious plastic miniatures to eat. What may take seconds to consume, may only take a short time to become lodged in the intestines or even cause your pet to choke.

Let’s enjoy this holiday season with no animals getting sick or hurt.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and safe holiday season! Share this article with friends who have pets, so all our pets should keep safe!

This post was written by Elliot Harvey MH of www.doctorsfinest.com. Author of “The Healthy Wholistic Dog,” Elliot has years of experience in animal health and wellness. Pet Assure is not affiliated with and does not endorse Great Life Performance Pet Products. Pet Assure is presenting this guest post for the benefit of its readers and retains no financial interest in any future transactions.
If you have any questions you can email me at pethealer@gmail.com.

Elliot Harvey

About Elliot Harvey

Elliott Harvey MH is the author of the natural healing book "The Healthy Wholistic Dog." He founded Great Life Performance Pet Products in 1996 to provide quality pet products based on nutritional and field studies. Elliott is a contributing writer for Animal Wellness Magazine and a consultant to Pet Product News. He utilizes his experience in natural health and wellness to write for Pet Assure on a monthly basis.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>