Stores dedicated to serving our pooches are on the rise, and in the stores are yummy gourmet treats! I think it is a fair statement to make that having a pet is a rising trend. Related trends are pampering your pet, along with more businesses becoming pet friendly. There is also a rise in shops purely marketed to luxury pet products and gourmet pet food.
While all these rising trends are great, what if your budget doesn’t allow for you to spoil your pooch as much as you would like? Well, have no fear! Listed below is a fun recipe for gourmet peanut butter dog treats that you can make yourself at home. The recipe is easy and incorporates ingredients that you can buy store-brand from your local supermarket. The recipe below is adapted from Alexander’s Peanut Butter Dog Biscuit treats at gourmetsleuth.com.
Poochies’ Peanut Butter Treats
The ingredients you will need are:
- 2 eggs, medium-sized
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup safflower oil
- 4 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 tsps. vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups white flour (unbleached)
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup rolled oats
The instructions for baking these treats are:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Mix water, oil, eggs, peanut butter and vanilla with a whisk.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend together. For this step, you might want to use a mixer. If it’s too thick, add a little more water.
- Take 1/3 of the dough and place on a floured surface. Flour the top of the dough, and knead until it becomes flexible. Add as much flour as necessary so that it’s not sticky. Repeat this step with the rest of the dough, working in thirds.
- Roll onto a floured counter until the dough is about half an inch thick. Using cookie cutters—maybe special ones for whatever season it is—and cut the dough into different shapes.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave in oven 20 minutes after turning oven off to crisp.
And…Ta-Da! You now have your own gourmet dog treats. Why don’t you name them of your own pet? To find more easy recipes, just search online or ask your local pet store. And let us know how your pet likes these!
What do you bake for your pets? Share with us in the comment section!