Seniors, lap up this attention! People of all ages love having furry friends on their laps. Here are some lap dogs perfect for those of us with a few candles on our birthday cakes!
There are multiple benefits to being a dog owner, whether you’re a kid or senior citizen. Dogs bring companionship and love to any household. They also reduce stress and can help you get the exercise you need. While senior citizens might have a hard time keeping up with a big dog, lap dogs are the perfect choice for those seeking a furry companion.
These precious pups are small, and therefore easy to carry anywhere you go. They also require less physical activity than larger breeds such as Labs or Golden Retrievers. Finally, there is a reason why the nickname is “lap dog.” These breeds truly do prefer being on a lap than taking a walk.
According to experts, the most recommended dogs for senior citizens are:
- Miniature Schnauzer: These loyal dogs love interacting with their owners, and love keeping them safe. The breed’s sleek coat requires just daily brushing, and a daily walk is highly appreciated.
- Yorkshire Terrier: The Yorkie is a calm dog who loves sitting in a lap. And while it’s there, keep in mind that daily brushing goes a long way with his coat, too!
- Welsh Corgi: This small dog enjoys playtime and daily walks. This breed can live in small spaces, so this is the perfect dog for a small condo or apartment!
- Chihuahua: This loyal breed might be described as a doggy-alarm. They make up for their small body size by the size of their barks!
- Toy Poodle: This breed loves to be in the company of its owners. True to stereotypes, they do love attention and pampering.
- King Charles Cavalier Spaniel: These dogs were bred to sit on laps. Take it from me: the King Charles is a great, loving dog who prefers to go for a carry, rather than a walk.
If you’re looking for a lap dog, ask your friends, neighbors and vet for their advice.
Do you know any seniors with a dog? What breed do they have? Tell us in the comments!