A trip to the beach with your pooch is a fun idea, but it can get a little messy and dangerous. Keep your dog safe and clean!
My family lives in North Carolina, about 45 minutes from the beach. So, what do you think our favorite thing to do on the weekends is? If you guessed going to the beach, you would be correct! Not only do the humans in my family enjoy the trip, our pooches enjoy it too! In fact, our King Charles Cavalier, Thor, loves to play fetch with…seashells! It is quite a sight to see. However, journeying to the sandy beach with furry companions can get rather messy. So below are some tips on how to have a fun, safe and clean(er) trip to the beach.
- It is best to keep your dog on a leash at all times. Beaches can get extremely crowded, especially during holidays and weekends. Not to mention, you probably won’t be the only person with a furry friend!
- Pack plenty of water, for the humans and for your pet. No one wants a dehydrated doggy!
- Provide a little spot of shade. My family does not own a huge beach umbrella. However, my mom sets up our beach chairs so that the dogs can lay behind us in the shadow. Also, try to find a shady area to walk on. Walkways leading to the beach typically heat up quite a bit more than the sand, and so they could cause a burnt paw.
- Bring extra towels for the pets. We typically bring two towels per critter. One is used on the beach, and the other is placed in the car for the drive home.
- If the beach area provides public showers, go ahead and wash some of the sand off your animal before journeying home.
- After you get home, give your pet a thorough bath to get rid of the rest of the sand.
Now go get ready to put your toes, and paws, in some sand!
Do you enjoy taking your pet to the beach? What do you do for pet safety? Share your tips with us in the comments!