Don’t let the sniffles keep you from having a pet. Check out this list of “allergy free” pets.
A common false belief about pet allergies is that people are allergic to fur. This is not the case. According an expert with the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, “People with pet allergies have supersensitive immune systems. It causes them to react to things in the pet’s dander (skin cells), saliva or urine.”
You can’t help it if your body reacts to those things, even though your heart and mind just want to hug a furry friend. So Mother Nature Network offers a list of pets for people who find themselves sneezing at most cats, coughing in the presence of puppies and breaking out in a rash every time they visit a pet store. Some ideas are:
- Portuguese water dog: With regular attention to their coat, their fur and dander are less likely to aggravate allergies.
- Sphynx cat: These creatures are nothing to sneeze at, because they don’t have fur!
- Kerry blue terrier: This low-allergy pet sheds less dander than the average dog.
- Standard poodle: These dogs also typically shed less. And their coats tend to retain dander because of their tight curls and lack of an undercoat. Other dogs with similar allergy benefits are the bichon frise and the American labradoodle.
- Leopard gecko: Lizards are great pets for the allergy-ridden, simply because they don’t have a coat of fur.
- Goldfish: enough said.
To view the rest of Mother Nature Network’s top pets for allergies, please visit their website.
Do you have allergies? Do you have any pets? What type?