Hi Seth. Someone at the local pet store told me that June is national pet preparedness month. What do I need to get to an pet emergency kit together? Thanks, Bev
As a family, we usually have a plan in place for the humans during a disaster and commonly we forget about out furry friends. Here are some of the things you need to prepare for a disaster.
- Food, water and bowls. Add a supply of each in case there is a long term power outage or if you need to leave your home in hurry.
- A photo ID of your pet or a picture with you and your pet. This is just in case you get separated.
- A copy of vaccination records/vet records
- Any medications your pets may need.
- You should also research the names and numbers of pet friendly hotels and out of town friends/family that you can contact if you need to stay with them for a period of time. Some shelters will not take pets during a crisis.
- Pet carrier and leash
- First Aid kit
- Toys and waste bags
With proper planning and with these items, you will be well prepared to face the challenges of an emergency situation.
Do you have a pet emergency kit? What items do you keep inside? Share with us in the comment section!