Below is a list of cat and dog illnesses that require immediate veterinary attention:
1. Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus (GDV)- mostly occurs in large breed dogs, where the stomach fills with air and twists, leading to shock, collapse and death.
2. Poisonings or toxin exposure- these include pesticides like snail and rodent bait, chocolate, lilies (cats) and some other plants, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, antifreeze, paracetamol and some other drugs and many other substances.
3. Profuse bleeding that cannot be controlled with a few minutes of pressure.
4. Difficulty urinating, especially in male dogs and cats.
5. Suspected fractures or large wounds.
6. Difficulty breathing, or choking. If unsure, check your pet's gum or tongue colour. The non-pigmented areas should be pink. White or blue gum colour means your pet is not breathing properly and will need attention.
7. Seizures, especially those that last more than 5 minutes.
8. Suspected tick paralysis.
9. Any paralysis- dragging of limbs or inability to move as normal.
10. Injuries to the eyes.
11. Heat stroke or collapse.
12. Severe pain or distress.
Share this list with your pet-loving friends just in case!